WHAT TO DO IN TIME OF BEREAVEMENT
If Death Occurs At Home
- Telephone for a doctor to visit.
- Contact a funeral director.
- The doctor will issue a medical certificate of cause of death for collection as soon as possible. This will usually be the following day. If it is necessary for the doctor to report the death to the coroner, this will be done as soon as possible.
- Once the medical certificate of cause of death has been collected it must then be taken to the registrar who will register the death and provide you with a death certificate.
When Death Occurs In Hospital
- Contact the funeral director to inform them that their services will be required.
- Collect the medical certificate of cause of death from the hospital.
- Take the death certificate to the registrar for the area in which the death took place.